Research Lead – Fisheries Sustainability
The Minderoo Foundation Perth CBD Western Australia,
[Posted 15d ago]
Minderoo Foundation is a modern philanthropic organisation. We take on tough, persistent issues with the potential to drive massive change. We incubate ideas and accelerate impact. We push the limits of what is believed possible. Minderoo Foundation is independent, forward thinking and seeks effective, scalable solutions. We are proudly Australian, and one of Asia’s largest philanthropies, with AUD $2 billion committed to a range of global initiatives. Our team comprises over 100 employees across seven locations.
Flourishing Oceans aims to transition our oceans to a healthy, thriving state. A flourishing ocean is one that can withstand a changing climate and increasing human pressure, is resilient, and free from pollution with healthy ecosystems and marine populations. As human pressure increases and the state of our ocean continues to decline, dramatic steps are required to protect and conserve this resource.
To facilitate this, we are committed to ending overfishing, promoting biodiversity conservation, eliminating the harmful effects of plastics, and facilitating world class research and education.
About the role
Based in Perth, the position leads the design and execution of impactful research into the state of marine fish stocks globally, working expand our understanding of current conditions and trends, with a focus on data-limited fisheries.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Oversee the development and implementation of an innovative method for collecting and assessing fisheries data in 100+ maritime countries as part of Minderoo’s Global Fishing Index.
- Ensure that all data are complete, consistent, high quality and fit-for purpose.
- Lead the interpretation and presentation of fisheries sustainability results within the Global Fishing Index and related outputs.
- With the broader research team, explore and interpret sustainability results in relation to fisheries governance, socioeconomic, and environmental context.
- Inform the development of a strategy and messaging for communicating research results to a range of audiences.
To be considered for this position you MUST HAVE:
- Postgraduate degree in fisheries science or natural resource management
- Technical expertise in fisheries or natural resource assessment or management, particularly the application of data-limited approaches
- Demonstrated quantitative analytical skills and ability to work confidently with complex data sets.
- Familiarity with machine learning and Bayesian statistical approaches
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to translate technical details for diverse audiences.
Of vital importance is that you will be a solutions-oriented and self-motivated individual who is a daring leader, takes initiative, and has a passion for the ocean and living our values.
Are you resilient enough to bounce back up, dust yourself off and go again with enthusiasm and a never, ever give up attitude after being knocked back or pushed down?
Are you really up for the challenge?
Please attach your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are up for the challenge!
Please Note: Applications close on 30/5/2021
Tattarang and Minderoo Foundation embraces Equal Opportunity and promotes diversity. We actively encourage Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders, people of all backgrounds, ages, sexual orientation, and those with Disability to apply.